Codemaster LLC, 3262 Hardisty Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45208-
1. What barcode types or symbologies does the verifier test? Don’t settle for an imprecise answer, like “all types” or “1D and 2D” barcodes. One manufacturer offers a verifier for "1D and 2D symbols" that tests PDF417 but not Datamatrix. Hmm.
Axicon data sheets are clear and explicit about what symbologies our equipment verifies.
2. What protocol does the barcode verifier use to assess the symbologies it tests? And what protocol do you need? Most of the time, the ISO specification is acceptable but sometimes your customers might require you to test to AIM specifications. They are not substantially different, but if your verification test isn’t specifically compliant to the AIM protocol, your customer may not be satisfied that you are a vendor they trust.
Axicon verifiers test, grade and report to the relevant ANSI/ISO full (not partial) specification.
3. Is the barcode verifier itself compliant? This is not the same thing as the verification report. Most barcode verifiers use the ISO specification as the format of their test reports, but not all verifiers are themselves compliant to the ISO specification that describes how the machine itself performs. If the verifier is not ISO compliant, the report is meaningless.
Axicon verifiers are independently tested and certified to be ANSI/ISO/IEC compliant devices. No asterisks.
Watch out for asterisks in the verifier description. This usually means a barcode verifier that is compliant only in certain configurations. This usually means that optional, extra-
4. How long is the warranty and what does it include? Beware of manufacturers who don’t clearly state their equipment warranty on the data sheets. Why aren’t they proud of their product and its factory warranty?
Axicon 1D verifiers come with a 2 year factory parts and service warranty—the longest available.
Axicon 2D verifiers come with a 1 year factor parts and service warranty.
Beware of complicated product warranties. This is not a legal document (well actually it is)—it’s also a promise and a statement of good faith.
5. Does the barcode verifier require periodic re-
Axicon verifiers should be factory re-
Never needs re-
6. What is the reseller’s return policy? Even when the reseller is very helpful and works hard to make sure you’re buying the right piece of equipment, sometimes you discover that it just wasn’t the exact device you need. Are returns allowed? Are there restocking fees? What’s the time limit?
Axicon’s return policy is simple. Clean, as-
7. Does the manufacturer provide software updates? Do they require returning the unit to the factory or are they field-
Axicon is constantly updating and improving its verification software. The latest version is available as a free download at www.axicon.com. New plugins are also constantly being developed, and are also available as a free download.
8. How does the barcode verifier report grade the tested symbols? The globally-
9. What is the verifier form factor? If the device is portable, how do you get the test data into your PC (or Mac) for viewing, archiving, printing or emailing? Is an extra-
Axicon 1D verifiers can be used as pc-
10. Does the manufacturer or reseller have demo equipment available? Sometimes you just want a test drive. If a manufacturer won’t be helpful at this stage, how helpful will they be after they have your money?
Most Axicon resellers offer demo equipment for their customers. Codemaster can provide Sale or Return (SOR) equipment to a customer for a two week trial period. Check with your reseller for details.